Monday, March 26, 2012

Previous thoughts shared....

**Written 1/13/12

Yes, we're pregnant, again! For those keeping track, this is the 4th time I've been pregnant, but we only have one little man to show for those pregnancies. We lost the last two pregnancies at 10 weeks each. The last pregnancy, we had an ultrasound at 7 weeks and heard its little heartbeat, but nothing else was monitored until we lost it at 10 weeks.

While we're all about letting God's will be done, I believe that God gave us a brain and free-will (he also gave me a very strong will) to use for a reason. So, as soon as I found out about this pregnancy, I called my doctor. An ultrasound was scheduled for almost 7 weeks. I asked about testing my HCG levels as well as my progesterone levels as I had self-diagnosed myself with low progesterone ( I know, I'm totally a doctor's favorite, right?). My doctor did not see a reason for any testing whatsoever, but agreed to put me on a progesterone supplement. 2 days went by with no word. I called and left another message with the nurse. Another day, no word.

I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I started calling other doctors and explaining my situation. Recurrent miscarriages - I want to monitor this pregnancy more closely. The best anyone would do was to schedule me out at 8 weeks. I became so frustrated. I seriously felt like my child was fatally ill and there was a possible cure, but no one would see me to give it to me. I called my good friend to vent and just lost it. I complained that no doctors were willing to test my levels. She told me that her aunt, a nurse practitioner, ALWAYS tested levels and scheduled viability ultrasounds. I checked with my health insurance and called her office within an hour.

Finally! Everyone in this office was understanding me. They understood the urgency. They insisted I get in the same day and start blood work. I had an appointment within an hour. They had me do an ultrasound as well and everything looked just as it should. For the first time, I could get excited about this pregnancy. My new "doctor" said she would call as soon as she had my lab results back and she did just that. She called after hours to tell me that my HCG levels were great, but my progesterone... you bet, it was LOW!!! She had given me a prescription - just in case - so she asked me to fill it and start taking it that very evening.

I can't describe my relief. Nothing is 100% with miscarriages and pregnancies, but I can now feel like we are DOING SOMETHING rather than just waiting for our pregnancy to fail. I have a doctor who is focused on bringing this pregnancy to term if that is what is meant to be. If it's not, at least we will know we did everything in our power and hopefully, we'll be able to learn something about why we've lost our past pregnancies.

Yeah!

Ultrasound at 5 weeks 2 days

No comments: