Thursday, July 26, 2012

This week...

This week I've been a single working pregnant mother. I'm beat!  Chris scored and amazing opportunity to go deep sea fishing in Alaska and we decided he simply HAD TO GO! It is so hard to get him to take a break and do something for himself that it was a no-brainer for me, even if it meant leaving me alone with the boys for a week.

Then, last week, I was asked to take on a recruiting job. I should have said, "no." I mean, I'm like 8 months pregnant and tired, but I just.can't.say.no. to a recruiting opportunity. I love it. I love the challenge of it. Most of all, I love when I find the perfect person! So I agreed and was given resumes on Friday. Then they told me they wanted a candidate by Wednesday. hmm..

A little panicked, but excited by the challenge, I started calling in the reinforcements. If I didn't have 2 kids to take care of, this wouldn't have been a huge issue, but you can't interview candidates with toddlers in the background - it's tacky. I was able to piece together a childcare plan for bits and pieces of the week and scheduled interviews around already scheduled dentist appointments and babysitter availability. I've completed my interviews and will continue to screen candidates, but right now, I'm in finger crossing mode that we made have the right candidate moving through the process.

So, busy week. That said, I've decided that FOR ME, being a stay-at-home-mom is harder than any job I've ever had. Not mentally challenging, but more exhausting physically and more trying on my patience and my stress levels. I had already noted this before with friends, but having a week of work with Chris out of town, I feel like I really got to experience it more. Normally, if he is gone from us for just a few days, I feel like I need a vacation when he gets back. This time he will have been gone Monday 5a.m. to Saturday at 7 p.m. and I'm feeling pretty darn good Thursday night.

Now, with THAT said, it killed me to come downstairs after 5 hours of interviews to see the kids playing with a sitter. I was missing out! They excitedly told me what they had been doing for the day, what they ate for lunch, and I even found the tattling too precious for words.

As exhausting as it is to be a caregiver 24/7, I could not be a working mom right now. Every now and again it is awesome to have a recruiting job to get excited about, but having to leave my boys everyday.... ugh! Too painful. I'm so blessed to be able to stay home with them, even on days when Chris comes home to find me almost passed out on the couch with leftovers for dinner, at least I didn't miss anything.

No comments: